Avon call on Marie Claire advertorials to reverse long-held consumer perception and bolster contemporary image credentials. Avon sought to develop a long-term media partnership to drive their image forward. Marie Claire has a strong heritage and reaches a massive 1 million fashion conscious women, so was the perfect partner for Avon's campaign. Repositioning a brand needs four things. Consumers attention, consumers engagement, consumers belief in what you say and ... time.
Avon's objectives were to disassociate themselves from a tired 'mumsy' image, reposition the brand as a credible, relevant choice you'd be proud to own and open the brand to new customers.
Emailshot sent to Marie Claire email database, inviting readers to be part of a Beauty Panel. Panel of readers chosen to trial and report back on 6 Avon products over the campaign period of 7 months. In-magazine activity launched with a 10-page bound-in sealed section which teased readers into guessing "beauty's best kept secret". Once unsealed, readers viewed stunning imagery of models made up using Avon cosmetics, looking flawless and the antithesis of frumpy! Immediately following this was a 3-page special, charting the Avon story.
We commissioned pre- and post campaign research to test campaign effectiveness:
- After seeing the sealed section with all Avon branding removed, nearly 30% of those surveyed remembered seeing the section
- 47% of those surveyed opened and read the sealed section
- Half of those surveyed stated that they planned to buy an Avon product as a result of seeing the campaign
- A third had already bought an Avon product as a result of seeing the features.
- 76% found the features useful and interesting
- 98% said that they have a better view of Avon having read the campaign.
"IPC pitched a strategic concept that worked hard in terms of its understanding and interpretation of our objectives and its creative approach. The concept promised a clever mix of standout and a seamless fit & interaction through the beauty panel, and that's exactly what we got. With business though, it's all about the results and Marie Claire have delivered great results too, as the research they commissioned attests to. A fantastic campaign, delivered by a highly professional team who we feel have worked with us in a truly collaborative way" Andy Watts, Avon.