Argos was looking to better understand its customers, and by doing so, increase the value generated from its advertising.
Ever since the launch of commercial TV, marketers have shared a common desire to answer the question: "Who watched my TV ad, and who responded by buying my products?" A question retail giant, Argos, wanted to address. In order to better understand its customers, Argos needed to leverage the rich data set it had already built. Sky, with a viewing panel of over 500,000 customers and its ability to securely match customer data sets, was quickly identified as the perfect partner to team up with.
Argos was looking to better understand its customers, and by doing so, increase the value generated from its advertising. With data being key, Argos joined forces with Sky Media to optimise the effectiveness of their TV investment, and to ultimately drive incremental revenue from their tactical TV advertising.
In order to tap into the true potential of the shared data sets, Sky Media proposed the following approach:
- Match Argos customers with the Sky's Viewing Panel
- Strategic TV performance analytics
-Target audience segmentations
- Optimise TV campaign planning
- In-flight adjustments to the plan
- Post-campaign analysis using sales data
- £7million in incremental revenue for Argos
- 8% year on year increase in TV targeting against core audiences, as a result of improved targeting and more efficient use of copy
- Doubled (x2) average shopping value
- Average shopping rates nearly tripled
"This project has been a huge success. The work we undertook has radically enhanced our targeting ability and we now understand how to reach our customers better than ever. The success of the project is not down to one individual, but a truly effective tripartite relationship between Argos, Sky and Mindshare. We're looking forward to seeing how the success of this project can be developed further."
Nicki Brown, Advertising Controller at Argos