TubeMogul - Who we are
TubeMogul is a media buying software that enables brands to simplify their media buys across digital video, TV, display and social media. TubeMogul focused on helping Brands reach and persuade audiences to buy their product. The TubeMogul software helps Brands to do this and overcome several challenges they have been facing:
- Reaching their video audience across multiple video devices – from TV, Desktop, Smart Phones and Tablets
- Help them plan, buy and measure digital video the same simple way as TV on a GRP
- Help them verify that they reached their audience and measure whether they achieved their brand objectives
- Protect their brand equity. TubeMogul want to make sure Brands run on contextually relevant safe sites, and making sure they are only buying video.
- Finally, BrandLift. Help Brands to understand the effectiveness of their ad at driving brand metrics like awareness, favourability & purchase intent
We believe that the industry is going to need a standard viewability method. In 2013, we started an industry coalition (along side of our industry partners) and released some code as open source that allows the detection of non-viewable ads. We think it’s more important to help solve this problem for the industry and make digital more appealing to brand advertisers in general than keep the technology for ourselves.
Every brand should ask to get visibility on every aspect of their digital video buy.
Economic: Understand the fees & Margins
Site: Performance and insight at the site level
Audience: Nielsen-verified audience delivery
Viewability: 11 metrics available at the site level
Safety: Brand Safety technology and robust fraud protection
Key things to know
Inventory Availability grows as quality decreases. Inventory quality decreases as availability grows. Mastering the inventory and data is very important.
2. Video ads - In stream or In banner
- In-stream often just called ‘pre roll, mid-roll or post-roll and shows up before content video.
- In-banner is a video ad that served in ”300X250” display banner.
Sometimes a brand advertiser attempts to buy large, premium pre-roll spots, but unknowingly receive small in-banner ads that just don’t perform as well. These placements are typically on low-quality sites or hidden where most viewers would never see them. TubeMogul therefor filter by player size and banner to ensure advertisers are running on premium video inventory, or paying a low effective price for low value small player / in banner video inventory.
3. Build your measurement framework
Digital is the most over-measured medium and we can record tons of data points but you need to establish the metrics that actually matter to your specific campaign and/or brand objectives. Tends to be easier for DR advertisers where there success goals are typically accessible and responsive. For example a brochure request. It can be more challenging with brand advertisers e.g. changing perception so you need to figure out the KPIs that are most likely going to drive that success goal e.g. VTR, CTR?
Every client is different but we think about it in terms of a pyramid, building upon a base set of metrics: